6/03/2014

Teaching Philosophy

The most effective educators are motivators who inspire students to learn both inside and outside the classroom. For me, I see this as being the foundation of my teaching philosophy. It is something I have strived for consistently throughout my career. My animated and outgoing personality combined with a strong passion for language learning enable me to teach every class with a motivating lively spirit. My students respond to this positive energy with increased motivation and active participation. Language learning is a complex and lengthy process; therefore, I believe it is important for teachers to make every effort to generate and maintain motivation. 

Another important factor towards achieving success in the classroom is being knowledgeable about the diverse learning styles and needs of students. As a result, I believe it is essential for teachers to conduct needs analyses and recognize as well as build on existing student knowledge. In my classes, I incorporate those practices as well as work towards addressing different learning styles through integrating visual, tactile and auditory components into lesson plans. For example, instead of simply reading about a subject, I may bring in objects, short videos, or activities related to the content. This works to bring life to the textbook as well as to increase student interest and desire to interact with classmates.

Effective teachers also demonstrate that they are organized leaders. To achieve this role, I start each class by writing a plan and language goal(s) on the board. I also briefly explain to students the logic behind new learning methods or activities. Given that international students often hold different teacher and classroom expectations, I believe that explaining goals and purposes encourages student motivation, participation in communicative activities, and confidence in course objectives.

One of my primary aims in developing courses and lesson plans is to scaffold material in a way that enables students to learn language in manageable chunks. I strive to break up language so that in-class tasks are challenging yet feasible for the proficiency level of the students. One way I work towards accomplishing this is by actively researching different scaffolding techniques for the varying language skills. For instance, in my writing classes I teach students to compose by use of the writing process so that they learn the importance of brainstorming, outlining, and drafting in clear steps. Furthermore, I believe that the most effective teachers are those who not only use scaffolding, but also know how to slowly take that scaffolding away in a manner that permits students to become more autonomous learners better prepared to deal with authentic language tasks.

For me, a good language teacher also strives to understand both the cultural differences as well as language needs of their students. My experiences teaching and studying language in Asia, Europe, Central and South America have helped me understand cultural differences and establish rapport with international students. I strive to be knowledgeable about current affairs and other cultures. Also, having spent many years as the language student in a foreign country, my students often respect my language background and study advice.


Above all, regardless of teacher experience, it is essential to remember the importance of continued professional growth. There is no “perfect” teaching method, style or persona. In order to remain a strong teacher, I must continue to research, reflect, and build on my existing skills throughout my career. Only through this continued reflection and research, will I be able to continue growing as a language teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment